Hello Salt Creek Families!
Last Week the CVESD approved our LCAP plan for the coming school year and that plan includes several benefits to our Salt Creek community. Here are the new materials and resources that your children will enjoy during the next school year:
Curriculum and Instruction
- Library Materials. Every school will get $5K for books and DI schools will get an additional $5K for Spanish books.
- Library Technology Technician (LTT)The district will fund more time for our LTT so that we have our librarian full-time, five days a week. Our LTT is already here 25 hours/week, so this funding will offset what we pay from our site budget.
- ELA Gap Materials – We will get $15 per child to purchase support materials in Language Arts while we await adoption of new ELA curriculum in 17-18.
- Go Math Textbook Purchase. This new math curriculum will be used in all classrooms and may be supplemented with our Eureka Math instructional materials.
- Achieve 3000 – This is a web-based tool to increase students’ access to non-fiction text and assist in increasing Lexile levels. Program licenses will be purchased for every student in Grades 3-6 and can be used at school and at home.
- SIPPS Training and materials for all teachers in Grades K-2. This is program builds Reading Foundational Skills and also serves as an intervention to support students not yet reading at grade level.
- Resource Teacher – The Resource Teacher position will continue to be funded to provide support and coaching for instructional improvement.
- GATE certification for teachers – The district is offering GATE certification for all teachers. Teachers who are currently in Grades 4-6 will have the priority since they provide direct services to GATE students.
- Extended Day and JumpStart Tutoring will continue for students who are below grade level in reading.
- Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Teachers for collaboration. We will hire 5 full-time VAPA positions that we will share with Veterans Elementary, which means every student will get 1/2 day of arts instruction every other week for the entire school year. Here are the positions we posted:
- Digital Media Arts/Technology
- Visual Arts
- Lenovo Tablets– We are getting 150 Lenovo Yoga machines every year for the next 4 years.
Social and Emotional Wellness
- Social Worker on campus 2 hours/week. She will work with target students needing counseling services that can be provided both in class and via pull out.
- Attendance Health – We received this 3-hour clerical support last year and it will continue to help us support the attendance and health needs of our 988 students.
What wonderful news for our District and school community. CVESD is hard at work to ensure that we provide the best educational experience for each student.
Enjoy the rest of your summer break!
Lani Perez, Principal
Hello Salt Creek Families! What another amazing year of school for our Mountain Lions – there is so much to look back on, celebrate and be thankful for. It really does take a village – and Mrs. Du-Song and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all or your support, collaboration, hard work, commitment, and genuine care and concern for our students and school. THANK YOU!
As we wrap up our final week of the school year, here are some important events and activities that you won’t want to forget:
- 6th Grade Olympics – ALL DAY with ceremonies at 2:00 p.m.
- 3rd Grade Field Trip to AMC from 10:15-2:00 p.m.
- Kindergarten Dual Immersion Commitment Meeting at 6:00 p.m in Room 604
- Mandarin 4 U Performance from 2:50-4:00 p.m. in MPR
- Sixth Grade Aquatica Field Trip ALL DAY
- 1st Grade Field Day from morning to lunchtime on Playfield
- Mariachi Assembly for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th from 11:00-11:20 in MPR
- Mariachi Lunchtime music for 1st and 2nd grade from 11:20-11:40 in LUNCH ARBOR
- Multicultural Fair – Blacktop
- 8:30-9:15 Kinder & 5th Grade
- 9:15-10:00 3rd & 4th Grade
- 10:00-10:45 1st & 2nd Grade
- 10:45-11:30 6th Grade
- 6th Grade Yearbook Signing and Luncheon from 12:00-12:45 p.m. in MPR
- Dual Immersion Kinder Promotion from 8:30-9:30 a.m. in MPR
- Rooms 301 & 307 Field Trip from 8:30 -12:30 at Eastlake Tavern & Bowl
- 1st Grade Dual Immersion Field Trip from 9:00-1:00 at Montevalle Park
- 6th Grade Promotion 4:00 p.m. on Blacktop and Playfield
- Room 606, 607, 608 Kinder Promotion from 8:30-9:30 in Classrooms
- 3rd Grade Dual Immersion Field Trip from 8:30-12:30 at Salt Creek Park
- Room 504 & 701 Field Trip from 10:00-12:45 at Salt Creek Park
- Room 502 Field Trip from 10:30-12:15 at Eastlake Village Marketplace
We need to apologize for our error.
Our original post said that yearbooks would be on sale on today after school from 2:30 to 3:15. This was an error. Yearbooks will be on sale TODAY after school from 12:45 to 1:15.
We would also like to mention that there is a VERY limited number of yearbooks left. They will be sold on a first come, first served basis.
One again, we apologize for this error!
The 2014/15 Yearbooks have arrived. The pre-ordered yearbooks were delivered to the classrooms yesterday, May 26th and today, May 27th. The teachers will be handing them out to the students, and, if you ordered a yearbook, your child will be bringing it home in the next few days.
For those of you that did not have a chance to order a yearbook, there will be a LIMITED number of “extra” yearbooks made available for purchase on a first come, first served basis. The cost of the yearbook is $25 and can be paid via cash or check (made payable to Salt Creek PTG).
The opportunity to purchase a yearbook will be made available to all students on Friday, May 29th at 8:15am-8:45am in front of the MPR and again after school from 2:30pm-3:15pm.
Salt Creek PTG
Sent on Behalf of Instructional Services and Support:
We want to share information provided by our EastLake Middle School partners about a series of incidents that occurred after school on Tuesday, May 26. The Chula Vista Police Department received reports yesterday afternoon that several students were robbed of cell phones and an iPad during at least two separate incidents as students made their way home from EastLake Middle School. Victims and witnesses reported the suspect had what appeared to be a gun. Detectives have linked another possible case on April 30, also in the afternoon hours, to these robberies. There may be additional cases based on the similarities (time, locations, and Method of Operation). CVPD is asking the public to contact Detective Molina at (619) 691-5178 with any information about the incidents.
We ask that you please take a moment to talk to your student(s) about being aware of surroundings as they make their way to and from school, walk with friends when possible, and to be vigilant while using phones or electronics in public areas. Talk to your child about the importance of reporting any suspicious activity to you, to school staff, or the police. Our mutual goal is to keep students safe at all times.
MENSAJE POR PARTE DE SERVICIOS DE INSTRUCCIÓN Y DE APOYO
Estimado padre de familia o tutor:
Deseamos compartir información que nos dio el personal de la Escuela Secundaria EastLake respecto a una serie de incidentes que ocurrieron después de clases el martes 26 de mayo. Ayer por la tarde, el Departamento de Policía de Chula Vista recibió reportes de que a varios estudiantes les robaron teléfonos y un iPad en por lo menos dos distintos incidentes al dirigirse a sus casas luego de salir de la escuela EastLake Middle. Las víctimas y algunos testigos informaron que el sospechoso tenía en su poder lo que parecía ser un arma de fuego. Los detectives han deducido que estos robos tienen una posible conexión con otro caso ocurrido el 30 de abril, también por la tarde. Tal vez existan más casos que hayan sido denunciados al departamento de policía y otros que no hayan sido reportados. Por lo parecido entre los casos (hora del día, lugar de los hechos y método de operación), la policía pide al público que se comunique con el detective Molina al teléfono (619) 691-5178 para dar cualquier otra información que ayude a resolver el caso.
Por favor, tome unos momentos para hablar con su hijo de que esté atento de sus alrededores cuando se dirija a la escuela y de regreso a casa, que se acompañe de amigos cuando sea posible, y que tenga cuidado cuando use teléfonos o dispositivos electrónicos cuando esté en áreas públicas. Dígale que es importante que reporte cualquier actividad sospechosa a usted, al personal escolar o a la policía. Nuestra meta mutua es cuidar de la seguridad de los estudiantes siempre.
Hello Salt Creek parents, it’s that time of year again when we verify student residency. Some schools across the District may have started this process last Friday, but we will begin tomorrow, May 27. As you know, last Friday we held our Military Breakfast and our Dual Immersion Acceptance notification, two important events that our front office staff is involved in, so we were unable to begin our verification process until this week. We will be ready for you starting tomorrow! Hours are 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. daily, and 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. on June 1st and June 8th.
- One of the following documents is required to prove residency:
- Mortgage book, mortgage statement or homeowner’s association billing statement
- Property tax payment receipt
- Rental property contract, lease, and current payment receipt
- Gas & Electric, water, sewer, trash, cable or telephone bill (land line only)
- Pay stub or voter registration
- Correspondence from a government agency
- Documents submitted must have the date of May 22, 2015 or later (cannot be past due).
- Documents must have the parent/guardian/caregiver’s name & address
- Please bring with you a picture I.D.
All Salt Creek families must verify residency by June 8, 2015 for your child’s name to be placed on a class list for the 2015-2016 school year. If your family will be moving out of the Salt Creek area please let the office know as soon as possible.
We appreciate your attention to this matter, thanks for your cooperation!!
Congratulations to all of our new Dual Immersion incoming Kindergarten students for being selected to participate in our program! Parents were notified by telephone on Friday of their acceptance into the program, and confirmation letters will be sent this week. Please attend a mandatory Dual Immersion Commitment Meeting on Monday, June 1st at 6:00 p.m. in Room 604.
Families that were not selected during the lottery will be contacted this week, and you will be placed on a waiting list, and should space become available we will notify you. We understand that it may be a disappointment if you were not selected, however, due to the popularity of this program in our area, we cannot accommodate all interested students. As explained in a handout that was passed out during Kindergarten Registration, as well as on our Dual Immersion page on this website, the number of classes we open depends not only on overall interest, but in the number of Spanish speaking models that also show interest. To maintain integrity of the program, a certain percentage of students that participate must show competency in Spanish as measured by the LAS (Language Assessment Scales) so that non-native speakers can learn, interact, and be immersed in the language.
We look forward to having our new families join us in Kindergarten, whether it be in Dual Immersion or our English program. Kindergarten Orientation for students and parents in both programs is on Tuesday, July 21 at 8:30 a.m.
Please join Mrs. Perez and Coach Herrera in brainstorming positive solutions to make recess soccer safe and fun for all students! Ideas to create systems for safe play and enlist volunteer coaches will be discussed. Please bring your ideas and support to the table! We look forward to meeting with parents and to working with you collaboratively so that we can make soccer safe and enjoyable for all! Meeting will be at 3:00 p.m. this Thursday, May 28 in Room 701.
Thank you to all of our Military families for attending our second annual Military Breakfast! Families enjoyed wonderful entertainment from Salt Creek students, live music, and food donated by parents, Mission Federal Credit Union, Vons, Wal-Mart, and Panera. We want to take this time to honor and thank our Salt Creek service men and women for your service to our country. We hope you all enjoyed the event!
Congratulations to our Mountain Lions for winning the finals tonight! Our boys and girls took 1st place in our division for the third year in a row after beating the Hedenkamp Huskies 4-3 in a close and exciting game! Hedenkamp did a great job – they are an awesome team, and it was a privilege for our boys and girls to compete with them!
Once again, thank you to Coach Herrera, your outstanding leadership and mentoring is undeniable! Thank you to Coach Shepersky for your support during practices! Thank you to Parent Coordinator Maggie Smargon for your parent leadership, communication, and for organizing snacks! Thank you to all parents for your ongoing support – and thank you most of all to our Mountain Lion Soccer Team! It was a great season – thank you for giving us this title again – you all make us so proud!!!!
Mountain Lions Lead the Way!!!!