Join us at Cycle Eastlake on April 25, 2015!!! When you sign up to participate, you not only support the Eastlake Educational Foundation, but you also support Salt Creek Elementary School! Every year EEF gives Salt Creek a generous grant to support technology in our school. In order to continue receiving this grant, we need to have 70 participants representing Salt Creek to either cycle, run, or walk. Last count we were at 69! Will you be the 70th participant? There’s something for everyone!!!
Thank you to those who have submitted their nomination forms for our 2015/16 PTG Executive Board.
All positions are still accepting nominations, and in particular we are still looking for someone who would be interested in running for Director of Fundraising. This position may be shared by two people.
The deadline for nominations is tomorrow, Friday, April 17th, at 1:15 pm. If you are interested in a position on the board you can pick up your nomination form in the office.
If you have any questions regarding the nomination process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents of incoming Salt Creek 2015-2016 Kindergarten students are invited to attend our Informational Meeting on Monday, April 20 at 6:00 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room. The meeting will be followed by the Dual Immersion Program Introduction at about 6:45 p.m.
Come hear all about our Kindergarten program, schedules, daily routine, and then for those interested in Dual Immersion and are participating in our lottery, stay for information about our Dual Immersion Program!
What a great Entrepreneur Faire we had today! Some businesses completely sold out of all of their items, but several would like to continuing selling the remainder of their inventory on Tuesday morning from 7:30-8:15 a.m. Once again, money will first be exchanged for tickets that will be used for purchase. Only Entrepreneurs will be allowed to sell their items, and only those businesses with leftover inventory.
Thank you to all of our volunteers that assisted today! Award winning businesses will be announced tomorrow!
Please mark your calendars for the following 6th Grade End of Year Events:
- Monday, June 1
- 6th Grade Olympics
- Salt Creek Play Field
- All day (8:15 a.m.-2:45 p.m.)
- Tuesday, June 2
- Aquatica Field Trip
- 9:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 3
- Yearbook Signing and Luncheon
- Salt Creek Multipurpose Room
- 12:00-2:45 p.m.
- Thursday, June 4
- 6th Grade Promotion
- Salt Creek Blacktop and Field
- 4:00 p.m. (note, this was changed from 5:00 to 4:00 p.m.)
If you have any questions about any of these events, or if you would like to assist in any way, please contact your child’s teacher.
The Salt Creek PTG is looking for some fresh faces to fill the open positions.
The PTG has many duties, but it is primarily responsible for providing a communication link between the teachers and the parents at Salt Creek School. The PTG also hosts several fun events throughout the year to celebrate our school and its students. These events include (just to name a few)
- Info Fair
- Fall Festival
- Movie Night
- Bingo Night
- Reading Week
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Valentine’s Dance
- Spelling Bee
- Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
Any funds raised through these PTG events are invested into the school in various ways:
- Technology Grants
- Teacher Grants
- 5th Grade BizTown Field Trip
- Field Trip Transportation (One per Grade-level)
The deadline for Nominations has been extended to this Friday – April 17th. Nomination forms (which include a position description) can be picked up in the office or you can contact email@example.com for a copy.
The following individual positions are accepting nominations:
- President (1-year term)
- Vice-President (2-year term)
- Treasurer (2-year term)
- Parliamentarian (1-year term)
The following positions are accepting nominations AND may be held jointly by two people:
- Director of Fundraising (2-year term)
- Director of Membership (2-year term)
- Director of Communications (2-year term)
- Director of Volunteers (1-year term)
All nominees MUST be a current PTG Member. If you are not a member, but wish to run for a position, you can purchase a membership for $10 at our PT-Avenue store.
I hope everyone had a great Spring Break! Only 8 more weeks until Summer Break … But who’s counting?
Week At a Glance
- Tuesday, April 14th – in the MPR – Enterpreneur Faire – The Store is Open!
- Wednesday, April 15th – 7:30 am in front of the school – Mission 2 $ave
- Wednesday, April 15th – After School – Talent Show Auditions
- Thursday, April 16th – After School – Talent Show Audition
What’s Happening in April?
- Tuesday, April 14th – in the MPR – 9:00 am to 11:00 am in the MPR – The entrepreneurs at Salt Creek have spent the last 8 weeks getting ready to sell their wares at this event. There will be many products to choose from ranging from $1 to $20. Each class will have the opportunity to check out the products and do some shopping. So send a few bucks to school with your student and help support our student entrepreneurs!
Mission 2 $ave
- Wednesday, April 15th – 7:30 am in front of the school – Once again, Mission Federal Bank is here to help our Mountain Lions learn about the importance of saving. Kids can open accounts and make regular deposits (without going to the bank) every Wednesday for the entire school year.
Talent Show Auditions
- Wednesday, April 15th & Thursday, April 16th – After School – Those students registered to audition for the Talent Show will have already received that date, time and location of their audition. The Talent Show will take place on Thursday, April 23rd at 6pm.
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
- Monday, May 4th to May 8th – Teacher & Staff Appreciation week.
- Friday, May 15th – in the MPR & on the Black Top – Multi-Cultural Festival will take place after school this year (from 5 pm t0 7 pm.) There will be food, art, & live performances from several different countries and cultures from around the world.
Last Day of School before Summer Break
- Friday, June 5th
Join us for our final GATE Parent Meeting at Salt Creek on Weds. April 15 at 6:00 p.m. Parents of our newly identified 3rd Grade GATE students are welcome to find out about our 3rd Grade Technology Club program offered this quarter. ALL parents are welcome to enjoy a special presentation from our guest speaker, Morgan Appel, from UCSD who will be speaking on “Inspired Thinking: Roles of the Arts in Gifted and Talented Education” – you won’t want to miss this!
We are very excited about our upcoming Multicultural Festival, which will be held on Friday, May 15 from 4:30-7:00 p.m. This event was typically done during the school day, however, we would like to hold this event in the evening as a community event complete with international food sales, music, cultural performances, and prizes!
Our wonderful teachers will be providing lessons and activities about their classroom’s selected country, and our awesome parents will be collaborating to put together a booth to provide information and interactive activities for our festival.
We will be having a Parent Planning Meeting on Wednesday, April 15 at 2:50 p.m. in Room 304 to discuss the details of the event, so all parents who have signed up to run their international booth should attend this meeting so that we can prepare for an amazing festival.
The following classrooms have signed up to learn about and represent their country with an interactive and educational booth during the festival:
- Dominican Republic: Macias/Basto
- Cuba: Marquez/Muhlbach
- Mexico: Farrar/Pragasstis/Ramirez
- Venezuela: Fernandes/Calcote
- Argentina: Shepersky/Luna/Hernandez
- Brazil: Herrera/Parra
- Chile: Brambila/Green
- Greece: Kelly/Goold/Hansen/Fallon/Jimenez
- Italy: Bartulio/Mielke
- France: Sanchez/Escalona/Mendoza
- Spain: Tontz
- Ireland: Stone/Kriss
- Japan: Davison/Maes
- Philippines: Zendejas/Hale
- China: Haber/Ricketts
We hope to see you at our planning meeting! We all look forward to a fun and educational event that celebrates diversity and multiculturalism in our community and in our world!
I hope you all had a wonderful Spring Break – it’s hard to believe that we are coming back for our final quarter of the school year! The final quarter starts Monday, April 6, and it is NOT a minimum day this time. It is a REGULAR schedule with dismissal at 2:35 for Kindergarten and 2:45 for 1st-6th grade.
Join us for our 4th quarter Coffee Chat this Wednesday at 8:30 a.m. where we will update you on our upcoming evening Multicultural Festival scheduled for May, end of year testing, and our Military Families Support Team and Ambassador Program.
If you are interested in supporting our school by serving as an officer on our PTG Board, please let us know! We are looking for parents who are eager to work collaboratively with others to provide great activities, events, and fundraising opportunities to enhance and support the educational experience of our students and families at Salt Creek! Come aboard and be a part of a great team!
This year has been outstanding as we have worked together to create a strong academic program, our school wide focus on math has helped deepen our understanding of concepts and critical thinking. Our GATE program is stronger than ever, with an array of enrichment opportunities for students in science, art, and technology. We have several after school programs that support our Long Term English Learners and students who need a little more learning time to develop strong literacy skills. It has been great to see the continuation of our tradition of outstanding events like our Fall Festival, Valentine’s Dance, Book Fairs, Science Fair, and it has been especially great to bring back our Reading Sleepover. I want to thank all of the teachers, school staff, and especially parent volunteers and PTG that have worked together to make all of this happen. I look forward to an exciting last quarter!!
Mountain Lions – Lead the Way!