Girls on the Run is back! GOTR will begin its autumn session on Monday, September 8th!
The girls will run after school on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3 to 4:15. Girls from 3rd grade to 6th grade are invited to participate. The cost for this 10-week program is $180. Discounts are offered to families that wish to register more than one girl. Please visit the GOTR website to register. Or sign up to PeachJar (on right hand side of the Salt Creek Mountain Lions homepage) to see our flyer & to find out more about our Girls on the Run program.
Hearing that your child’s class may have students infested with lice can be alarming, and you will want to know what to look for in your own child as well as know what the school is doing to prevent the spread of lice. Here are some facts about lice from Kristen Danielson, M.D.:
Fact: Lice do NOT spread disease. They are a nuisance, but not a health problem.
Fact: You CANNOT get lice from pets, and pets can’t get them from people.
Fact: Having lice does NOT mean your children are dirty. In fact, research has shown that lice prefer clean hair.
Fact: Lice CANNOT jump or fly. They CAN crawl – from one head to another or from jackets to heads.
What does Salt Creek do when a case of lice is reported to the health office? When one case of lice is reported, we send home a letter to all students of the grade level notifying the parents. We also follow the Board Policy on Head Lice. You can download and read the policy here: Head Lice – BP 5141.33
It is important that if you do notice that your child has lice that you report this to the school health office immediately. You can begin treatment at home, but if you do not inform the school, we have no way of knowing to notify the other parents to prevent the spread. Download this handy one-page article from Dr. Danielson that gives specific instructions on what to do if your child gets lice. We hope that you never have to use this handout, but just in case you do, it’s great to have ready.
Facts about Lice from Kristen Danielson
If you have any more questions, please contact our school health office. Here is also a website you can access for more information: Parents Guide to Lice Outbreaks
We are looking for a DAC Representative! If you would love to represent Salt Creek at the District Advisory Committee, please let us know! This is a great opportunity for you to learn more about District initiatives and how they impact our school. See form below and let us know by Sept. 2. Our SAC (School Advisory Committee) will elect a representative from the nominations submitted. Thanks!
The NED Assembly happens today! Primary grades will enjoy the assembly at 8:30, followed by the upper grades at 9:30.
NED Yo-yo sales will begin tomorrow – before & after school – and they will run everyday until September 3rd. Prices are $7, $10 or $15 depending on the style you choose. (For more information sent home on the NED show flyer last week.) We will ONLY be accepting cash or checks made out to the “Salt Creek PTG” for yo-yo purchases.
Please join us for our first ELAC meeting this Thursday, August 28 at 8:30 a.m. in the Multipurpose Room! Learn all about the English Learner Advisory Committee, and be a part of a great group of parents who are working together to improve learning and support for our students who are learning English as a second language! We are looking for at least one parent per classroom to join the committee, and so far we only have the following classrooms represented:
- Mrs. Ramirez :)
- Mrs. Peña :)
- Mrs. Allinger :)
- Mrs. Hernandez :)
- Mrs. Jones :)
- Mrs. Davison :)
- Mrs. Basto :)
- Mrs. Marquez :)
- Mrs. Macias :)
If your child’s teacher is not on the list, then we need YOU! Please respond to this blog if you can represent your child’s classroom and join us this Thursday!
Favor de unirse con nosotros este jueves, el 28 de agosto para aprender mas sobre el Comité ELAC. Necesitamos un representante para cada salón de clases. Si el nombre del maestro de su hijo/a no está en la lista de arriba, favor de hacerse voluntario y unase con nosotros. Responde abajo y hagamos saber. ¡Gracias!
This morning Mrs. Perez and the PTG drew Mrs. Arellano‘s name as the winner for the Info Fair PTG Membership prize basket. The basket contains an assortment of gift cards and prizes which are valued at $120. Any family that purchased a PTG membership before July 22nd was entered into this draw.
This prize basket is the first to be awarded in a series of draws that are a part of the PTG’s Membership Drive. The next draw will take place closer to Fall Break. Families need to purchase a PTG Membership to qualify. If you do not have a PTG Membership, and you would like to purchase one, you can do so at our online store – PT Avenue. Or for more information you can contact us at email@example.com.
Thanks to 3rd grade Salt Creek teacher, Miss Green, both Principal Perez and Associate Principal Du-Song take the Ice Bucket Challenge!!
For more information about ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), aka Lou Gehrig’s Disease, please visit http://www.alsa.org.
- Box Tops are back. Please start saving your Box Tops. Box Top Deadline is Friday, September 12th.This is one of our easiest fundraising opportunities. In the next few weeks the grade level tubes will be back out in the MPR, and your students can start dropping their Box Tops off. As always, we challenge each grade level to try and out-do the other!
Week At a Glance
- Tuesday, August 26th – 8:30 – 10:30 in the MPR – NED Assembly! Never give up! Encourage others! Do your best! Ned Yo-yo sales will happen before and after school until September 2nd.
- Thursday, August 28th – 8:30 in the MPR – Picture Retakes! Did your child miss picture day? No problem! Today is his day to say “Cheese!”
- Thursday, August 28th – 8:30 – 9:30 in the MPR – ELAC (English Learner Advisory Committee) Meeting is happening to vote in new parent representatives for every classroom. Refreshments will be served.
- Monday, September 1st – Labor Day Holiday – No School.
What’s Coming Up in August & September?
- Tuesday, August 26th – 8:30 am to 10:30 am in the MPR – This popular assembly returns to Salt Creek. Students will meet in the MPR to enjoy this 45 minute presentation. NED inspires students to Never Give UP, Encourage Others, & Do their Best! Ned Yo-Yo sales will happen from August 26th to September 2nd!
Picture Day (the Make-up Session)
- Thursday, August 28th – 8:30 am in the MPR – If your child missed picture day on August 21st, today’s their day to say “Cheese!”
- Thursday, August 28th – 8:30 – 9:30 in the MPR – English Learners Advisory Committee Meeting to vote in classroom representatives.
Scholastic Book Fair
- September 8th to September 12th – in the MPR – Scholastic Book Fair. More details about times to follow!
1st Quarter Parent/Teacher Conferences
- September 11th to September 19th – More information about these conferences will come home with your child. Times and places are arranged independently by each teacher. Early dismissal will happen on these days. School will get out at 1:15 pm.
1st Quarter Awards Assembly
- Tentatively scheduled for September 17th to September 19th – More information will follow.
- Thursday, September 18th – In front of school – Spirit Tags will go on sale both before and after school.
- Monday, September 22nd to Monday, October 6th – Fall Break – No School. School will resume on Tuesday, October 7th at 8:15.
Have a great week!
Our annual Fall Festival is one of the PTG’s biggest fundraisers every year. We are looking for volunteers to help us make this year’s event another huge success!
We will be hosting our first Fall Festival Committee meeting today at noon in the MPR. Please join us to find out more about this great event.
Don’t forget! Tonight is restaurant night at Rubio’s on Eastlake Parkway. That is the location nearest to Walmart.
But don’t forget your flyer! A flyer for restaurant night came home earlier this week. You MUST have this when you order your meal, if you want 20% of your total bill to come back to the Salt Creek PTG.
Salt Creek Restaurant Night at Rubio’s is open from 2pm to close!
Hope to see you there!